Types of Telescopes

Many simple to complex tasks in everyday life has a set of tools or skills that we use to helps us accomplish the result we want.  For example, take the simple task of bringing food to our mouths.  Depending on the food we are eating, we can use our hands and fingers.  We can use a variety of tools that include forks, spoons, sporks, knives, chopsticks, skewers, and other items.  My toddler is always looking for the most unique (and often messy) way to place her food in her mouth. 

When it comes to telescopes, there are many types of telescopes available to look at the night sky.  So what exactly is a telescope?     A telescope is "an optical instrument designed to make distant objects appear nearer, containing an arrangement of lenses, or of curved mirrors and lenses, by which rays of light are collected and focused and the resulting image magnified (Source: Oxford Languages)."   Essentially, a telescope consists of a tube and glass (lens and/or mirrors) to make distant light appear nearer to the observer.  

Each type of telescope has its advantages and disadvantages.   Some are best at planets.  Some are best at deep-sky objects such as nebulas and galaxies.  Some are easy to use, and others require a higher degree of skill.  Some are long in length, and others are compact and portable.   Pricing varies depending on size, quality, and type.  


My Original Telescope:  William Optics Zenithstar

There are three main types of telescopes: refractors, reflectors, and catadioptrics. 

A refractor uses specially designed lens that focuses the incoming light for you to see at the eyepiece or on a astrophotography camera.



Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

Reflector telescopes uses a series of mirrors to reflect the incoming light at various angles to the eyepiece.


                                                                Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech


Credit: By Griffenjbs - Public Domain

Catadioptric telescopes combine both lenes and mirrors in a compact setup.   There are various types in this catagory including 
Schmidt-Cassegrains and Maksutov-Cassegrains.

Each telescope type has its advantages and disadvantages.   All my telescopes have been refractors up to this point as my primary goals have been mostly imaging deep-sky objects.   I am sure that one day I'll look at investing in a reflector or catadioptric telescope as well.    For more of a deeper dive into types of telescopes, check out the links below.




Since there are no major telescopes stores in my state, I have had to purchase all my astronomy equipment online.    High Point Scientific has provided the best and latest products for all things related to telescopes and more.   


In my next article in this Telescope Buyer's Guide Series, I'll talk about eyepieces.

Planning on getting a telescope soon?   Share below! 

Enjoy learning more about Astronomy and Astrophotography?   Come explore with me with my newsletters and YouTube channel.

For my Astrophotography at Bortle 5 website, visit
https://astrophotography-at-bortle-5-omsmyt.mailerpage.io/

Visit my YouTube channel for more astrophotography
https://www.youtube.com/@astrobortle5

For the latest Blogger updates, subscribe to my Newsletter
https://tinyurl.com/2arry74k








No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my Astro Blog!

  Welcome to my blog about all things astronomy and astrophotography! I will feature my latest pictures of the night sky, insights, stories,...